Wednesday, April 9, 2014


Amber Pacheco
April 8, 2014
Sacramento Internship Program
 
                I had a fantastic time today! We met with so many influential people who were all knowledgeable and excited to meet with us and answer our questions. I was personally inspired by Senator Hannah Beth Jackson and her confidence and immense knowledge base. She has served the community in a multitude of ways including being an educator, serving as a State Assembly Member, serving as a Deputy District Attorney, has served on countless committees, and has founded multiple organizations. Talking to Senator Jackson was my favorite part of the whole day because she truly inspired me to get involved in an organization that I am interested in through her passion for the issues that she was discussing.  
                I also thought that being able to meet with the Minority Leaders Senator Bob Huff and Assembly Member Connie Conway was truly a unique experience because it allowed me and the rest of the group to be able to see the other half of the political scene. Up until now, we have only met with Democrats. Hearing from two strong Republican leaders was an enriching experience in my opinion because I personally am very moderate when it comes to the political scene and think that there is value in hearing both from Democrats and Republicans.
                As our group was leaving the floor of the Senate (which was also incredible to be able to sit in the seats that our politicians make laws in), we ran into the President Pro Tempore, Darrell Steinberg. I was in awe to even be in his presence because he is the second most important and powerful politician in California. He was only able to talk to the group for a few minutes, but he was very easy-going and a genuinely nice guy who had a clear passion for what he was doing in politics. I had a lot of respect for the man with this kind of power. He gave us a few pieces of information about how the jobs that are created in California need to be interlocked with green jobs and sustainable energy which was also very interesting and helpful.
                I really enjoyed the entire day. It was jam-packed with different important politicians, and I feel extremely lucky to have gotten to meet these influential people!

No comments:

Post a Comment